Social Impact Design Educator
Natacha Poggio is a social impact design educator, TEDx speaker, and advocate of design for social change. In her teaching at the University of Houston-Downtown, she concentrates on the role nature plays in our lives and encourages students to find solutions that will inspire positive change in society. She is the founding director of Design Global Change, which focuses on designing planet-centered solutions to address global health, environmental, and social justice problems. She has over two decades of professional practice, and her work has reached hundreds of communities in Latin America, Africa, and Asia, garnering recognition as a two-time recipient of the Sappi â€œIdeas that Matterâ€ award. Natacha lectures on social impact design, judges competitions, and volunteers her expertise on the Winterhouse Institute Advisory Council and AIGA. She earned a B.F.A. in Graphic Design from the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, and an M.F.A. in Experience Design from The University of Texas at Austin, United States. Natacha is a native of Argentina but considers herself a citizen of the world.
Lead User Experience and Interface Designer
Creative Director and Educator
Melanie Uribe is a freelance Creative Director with an active client list, currently working in collectible brand merchandise and game development for the NBA and MLB leagues, as well as major European Soccer Teams such as Barcelona FC, Juventus FC, and Paris St Germain, among others. She is also Assistant Professor at Southern Connecticut State University, where her research focuses on exploring the notion of exhibition space as a medium that facilitates effective communication, information flow, and the sharing of narratives that are both personal and universal about the complicated experiences of immigrants; voluntary or involuntary.
In her personal practice, Melanie works at the intersection of graphic design, printmaking, and book arts. She sees paper as an infinite field for visualization and creative thinking and a timeless material that can be used to design and create in contemporary ways. She earned a B.F.A. in Graphic Design from the University of Central Florida, a M.A in Web Design from Centro de DiseÃ±o Digital in Caracas, Venezuela; and an M.F.A. in Graphic Design from Florida Atlantic University.
Past Flux Judges
Flux winners are selected by a national panel of distingushed creatives. Notable past judges have included:
- Ashleigh Axios, Former Creative Director & Digital Strategist at The White House
- Rich Hollant, Principal, Lead Strategist and Design Director at Hartford’s CO:LAB
- Drew Davies, Founder and design director of Oxide Design Co.
- Jean Peterson, Founder Jean Peterson Design (JPD)
- Ellen Lupton, curator of contemporary design at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution in New York City and director of the Graphic Design MFA program at MICA
- Craig Welsh, GoWelsh
- Jessica Hische, Jessica Hische Design + Illustration
- Jeffrey Everett, El Jefe Design
- Nolen Strals, Post Typography
- Bruce Willen, Post Typography
- John Foster, Bad People Good Things
- David Vogin, 314 Design